Critical Reflection

UCS1001 taught me the Paul Elder framework and writing methods for summaries, literature reviews, and technical reports. The seminars provided by the module helped me improve my communication and research abilities, which were my two main takeaways.

This module instruction about communication included critical thinking techniques and abilities. It is crucial to carefully consider the content and message before conveying it. I struggled the entire time to articulate my opinions on the matter, be it giving an oral presentation to the class or writing down my thoughts. However, learning the Paul Elder framework allowed me to take a step back and concentrate on what I wanted to say and how I could capture the attention of the reader. It also prompted me to think more thoroughly, which has been beneficial as I prepare to submit my summary reader response drafts and allowed my group to develop new approaches to communicate our information for our group technical report. At the end of this module, when I reviewed my own and some of my classmates work, I discovered that I could critically examine information and give insightful comments and suggestions for more effective writing.

It has been difficult to find information for the technical report throughout the trimester as I was forced to sift through innumerable webpages, academic articles, and books. Due to my lack of knowledge, I struggled to discover the information I required; hence I took a significant amount of time to finish my assignments. The introduction of search engines such as Google Scholar and SIT Library enabled me to focus my searches and obtain information faster and more accurately. The procedure of properly referencing sources was also stressed numerous times, which I appreciated as it is useful in teaching me how to reference trustworthy sources and cite them accurately. This skill has helped me in another module, Fluid Mechanics, where I had to cite references in the lab report, and it will undoubtedly help me in future reports, whether at school, IWSP, or when I go out to work.

Many difficulties arose while working on the technical report, such as deciding on the emphasis of my group, as well as how to effectively delegate work to each member. This project has allowed me to work on many aspects that I was worried and insecure about such as my oral presentation skills, research and writing. As we attended group meetings to conduct research for our technical report, I grew closer to my team colleagues Yen Jee, Kiran, and Javin. I have also learnt how to work under pressure and come up with creative solutions as a result of time restrictions. After conversing with them, I discovered that each of them has experience working on projects related to keeping the civil engineering sector sustainable. Each of them is exceptional as a team player and contribute significantly towards the writing of the technical report. They are also responsible and get work done on time, qualities that I appreciate.

Despite a challenging start, I am delighted that this module gave me a positive experience where I could further develop my critical reflection and thinking through the teachings with my talented classmates. This learning experience has also been more enjoyable because of my engaging lecturer, Professor Brad Blackstone, who addresses all of my questions and he makes learning fun. I intend to continue honing the skills I have become versed in so that I can articulate myself effectively and critically when I conduct additional research for upcoming reports and future presentations.

 

Comments

  1. Thanks much, Timothy, for this detailed and well articulated critical reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Prof Brad for your guidance throughout the trimester!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts