Descriptive Reflection: Formal Introductory Letter

Dear Professor Brad Brickstone,

My name is Timothy Sim and I am writing to introduce myself to you. An interesting fact about me is that I can drive a car as well as ride a motorcycle. At the age of 20, I purchased my own motorcycle and I am currently using it to commute around Singapore and Malaysia. Being a motorcyclist also has its perks, such as being able to improvise and react spontaneously to situations which is beneficial especially in the classroom.

I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in aerospace technology. I am currently a student attending your critical thinking and communicating module as an undergraduate in civil engineering. As a child, my parents made me watch engineering documentaries and as I grew older, I became more intrigued about the mechanics of machines and this explains my love for mathematics and physics. Hence, I believe that furthering my studies as a civil engineer would better equip me with the relevant skills and knowledge which would align with my interest.

Although many people would think I'm gregarious and opinionated, a communication weakness of mine is that my bashful nature hinders my ability to perform to an audience and I would end up forgetting my lines, stammer or even start twitching due to my anxiety. However, I am comfortable approaching strangers because my time in the national service has prepared me for this. During national service, one of my responsibilities was to communicate with many independent contractors, accompanying and supervising them as they completed their tasks.

When doing group projects, there will be frequent areas of dispute such as poor communication, unequal contributions and interpersonal conflicts. In the midst of such adversity, unlike many others, I would maintain my poise and challenge the norms and eventually overcome any obstacles faced. All in all, I am sure that by actively participating in your seminars, I will be able to expand my viewpoints in the fascinating topic of critical thinking. and equip myself with the necessary concepts needed to steadily hone both my public speaking and communication skills.

Yours sincerely,

Timothy Sim


Edited 24 Jan 2023

Read: Yen Jee, Matiin, Galven, Yong Keat, Lokes

Comments

  1. That's a good intro of yourself. I have a clear idea of how you are as a person and we can definitely know each other more since we have something in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Matiin, I am looking forward to getting to know you better. Is riding a motorcycle something we have in common? If so, we could go for rides in the foreseeable future!

      Delete
  2. Hi Timothy, thank you for sharing more about yourself ! I hope that you will be able overcome your weakness soon and achieve the goals you set for yourself. I look forward to getting to know you more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen Jee, thank you for hoping I will be able to overcome my communication weakness! I will continue to see you around in class! Keep Slaying.

      Delete
  3. Hi Timothy, thank you so much for sharing more about yourself ! You have given me a greater insight on the person you are and I am sincerely rooting for you to overcome your weakness. Hope to know more about you throughout this trimester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Galven, thank you for always having my back and rooting for me to overcome my communication weakness. I will definitely share more moments with you in class and we can get to know each other better.

      Delete
  4. Dear Timmy,

    Thank you for the sharing in this letter. I appreciate that you've addressed all the points of the assignment brief. You've also painted an interestig picture of yourself, from you being "an adrenaline junkie" who is "gregarious and opinionated" as well as "bashful" to a person who might "challenge norms." There's a lot to unpack in these self-impressions, but since you want to improve your comm skills, let's address a few issues in expression:

    1. sentence structure
    -- Being an adrenaline junkie, it is ... > (Is 'it' the junkie?)
    -- ...by actively participating in your class, this module ... > (Is the module participating in class?)

    2. lack of clarity
    -- However, I am confident talking to strangers as my time in the national service has really benefited me in this aspect. > (Explain how and why.)
    -- In times of adversity, society frequently try to discourage me from accomplishing results. > (Explain how and why. Be precise: Rather than society mention who.)

    I look forward to a further draft, and to getting to know more about you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Professor Brad, thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. I appreciate the areas of improvement that you have highlighted for me and I will make the due changes. I enjoy your classes as they are always engaging and interesting. Happy Chinese New Year!

      Delete
  5. Hi Timothy! I see the immense improvement from the first draft of your letter to the latest one. You have done a great job at introducing yourself in a concise and clear manner. Also, you have used a great use of language and vocabulary to put your thoughts and opinions out in such a nice manner. I feel like I know you better after reading your letter. I hope to get to know more about you throughout the course of this module.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lokes! Thank you very much for the positive feedback. I hope to get to know you more as well! keep slaying.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts